Cape Union Mart is South Africa’s favourite outdoor adventure store, and has been equipping South African adventurers from 1933. Its retail outlets include: Cape Union Mart, Keedo Kids, Old Khaki, Poetry, Tread and Miller.
The IT team shared with us that the retailer was planning to launch a new Point of Sale system.
With 250 retail outlets all over South Africa, as well as in Namibia and Botswana totalling a whopping 2000+ in-store employees; the team was worried about how to introduce the change and prepare all employees for the big day their store would “go live” onto the new system.
The IT team needed a solution, and they knew it needed to include:
- Change management. The employees needed to be aware that a new Point of Sale system was coming, and we needed to get them excited about the change.
- Brief, high-quality content. A course that taught employees everything they needed to know, in a time effective manner to have minimal disruption to business.
- Effective assessment. They needed to know that an employee was fully ready & able to operate the new system. Mistakes would impact the store’s ability to trade, so only those that completed the course and met the assessment standards would be allowed access on go live day.
- Incredible support. With a workforce that changes daily, they needed hands on, real time service to help them get each store’s team to complete their training before their scheduled go live date.
They chose to partner with Brain eBox, and we worked together to:
- Design and develop change management communications videos to help stores prepare for the change & get excited about the journey ahead.
- Design and develop the POS course. We provided the CUM team with a framework to use to provide us with the POS rules, processes and tips.
- We then transformed this into an eLearning course.
- Design their online classroom, using their logo & corporate colours.
- Deliver the Point of Sale course.
- We helped their employees complete the course from login to course completion, providing detailed reporting to the
- IT team daily so that we could help them have full sight of the course progress as each set of stores turned on the new system.
And the result?
“Having never used eLearning on any projects, I was nervous about how the end users would respond to the method. The overall feedback was incredibly positive.” Head of PMO
We achieved a 99.3% course completion rate, and the new Point of Sale system was introduced into all retail outlets with no business disruption.
Employees felt prepared and ready on the day of the change, and it was business as usual even though it really was not a usual business day!
After 1 year of working together, we have continued to deliver the Point of Sale course to new employees as part of their induction process into the business.
“I am so pleased with their outputs that I am using them for another upcoming project” Head of PMO